Hi friends! Happy Friday the 13th.
I mentioned to my newsletter subscribers (are you a subscriber? No? Subscribe! Check out the sign-up box in the top right) a while back that for any personal, fun, miscellaneous-y type things that I want to post on my blog I’d be doing it on Fridays instead of on Sundays. I feel like I want to keep Sundays reserved for the core content of my blog, while Tuesdays will rigidly stay for Happy Talks for the foreseeable future.
So happy Friday friends! Elizabeth from Sunburnt Aloe tagged me in her Blogger Recognition Award post, so here I am two-and-a-half weeks later doing it. (Totally not been too lazy to complete this…) Anyway yaaaaay recognition!
The rules of the blogger recognition award are:
Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog – done! (Thanks Elizabeth)
Write a post to show your award – uh, done!
Write a brief story about how your blog started…
Going With Happy started because I wanted an outlet to write. I was about to graduate college, and one of my favorite things to do was write essays. Even if the content wasn’t quite what I’d want to be writing about sometimes, I still enjoyed the process of writing and completing something meaningful. That process was something I didn’t want to have go away after college, so I decided to started up a blog. I’d had a couple in the past that flopped just because I don’t think I was ready for the commitment, but since my schedule freed up after graduation it’s been far easier to manage. So here I am nearly four months later and I’m having a grand ol’ time.
Share two pieces of advice for new bloggers…
- Know yourself and what you can commit to. It’s incredibly important to research the tactics of successful bloggers coming into the game, but do not feel like you have to uphold those standards right off the bat. If your favorite blogger is posting three times a week but the idea of that seems far too overwhelming, don’t do it. Start with one, get in the groove of it, and work up from there. I think people burn out from blogging quickly because they ask too much of themselves as soon as they start. Not the way to go, boo boo.
- Don’t be afraid to promote, but don’t be a douche about it. I think my last blog I tried flopped because I expected people to come to me as opposed to me letting them know I exist. When you’re new, you have to push to get your name out. That hard work will pay off and eventually you won’t need to push so hard to get views. I’m still in the process of having to push hard, but seeing successful bloggers be able to focus on just creating quality content is what keeps me going, because I know I’ll get there one day. Like I said though… don’t be a douche about it. There’s a right time and place to promote, and you need to feel out what’s going to be received positively and what’s going to make someone mad.
Choose 15 other bloggers you want to nominate…
- Taylor & Missy from Frayed Books
- Cairon from Travel Bear
- Rachel from Creativity and Positivity
- Vini from Bee Gorjyus
- Courtney from The Unfiltered Mama
- Sophie from Trafotoz
- Jess from The Indigo Hours
- Kellie from Pale Jacket
- Meg from XMeganLisa
- Callyn from Needles and Noise
- Em from Out Of Tea Bags
- Sarah from Saz Sinclair
- Rachel from A Pearly Dream
- Katie from Katie Yvonne
- Chloe from The Northern Girl’s Guide to London Living
Comment on each blog to let them know you nominated them and link to your post – will do as soon as the post is out obvi.
Hope you found my advice helpful newbie blogger friends! See ya Sunday,